~ Author – Sam Painter, Deluzio & Company Staff Accountant I~
Post COVID there has been an increase in computer fraud and phishing attempts. This increase could be due to the increase in business conducted virtually. Per the IRS, here are some things to look for and ways to protect yourself and your business.
Be on the lookout for:
- Messages claiming to come from the IRS offering refunds, fake COVID relief, tax credits, and setting up an IRS online account.
- Avoid online sellers that accept payments only by gift cards, money transfers through companies like Western Union or MoneyGram, or deals with cryptocurrency.
Protect yourself with:
- Use strong and unique passwords.
- Use Multi-factor authentication whenever possible.
- Avoid using public Wi-Fi to shop online.
- Keep security software for computers, tablets, and mobile phones updated.
- Shop at trusted sites. (Has “https” and has a padlock icon)
- Use separate personal and business computers, mobile devices, and email account.
- Do Not share sensitive business information to personal account.
- Do Not share USB drives or external hard drives between personal and business computers or devices.