~ Author – Alison Starr, Deluzio & Company, Staff Accountant I ~
In general, under the Federal Insurance Contributions Act (FICA), taxes are imposed on both employers and employees on wages paid to the employee for Social Security (old-age, survivors, and disability insurance (OASDI)), and Medicare hospital insurance (HI). The FICA taxes are imposed on both the employer and the employee at a rate of 6.2% for OASDI and 1.45% for HI, totaling 7.65% for the employee and 7.65% for the employer (15.3% total).
Under the CARES Act, payroll taxes due from the period beginning on March 27, 2020 (the date the CARES Act was signed into law) and ending on December 31, 2020, can be deferred, without penalty or interest assessed. The total payroll taxes incurred by employers, and 50% of payroll taxes incurred by self-employed persons qualify
for the deferral. Half of the 2020 deferred payroll taxes are due on December 31, 2021, with the remainder due on December 31, 2022.
Please call our office to discuss details if you’d like or need to take advantage of this provision.